Project Artaud History
Project Artaud is a pioneering arts complex in San Francisco's Mission District, for artists of all disciplines: visual artists, dancers, actors, writers, filmmakers, and arts presenting groups. We're a member-run, non-profit organization, providing support for artists and arts activities, and a model of how artist communities can be shelters for artisans and resources for a city.
Built as an American Can Company tooling factory in 1925, the shop provided jobs for San Francisco Mission District families through the 1960s. In 1971, a group of artists moved into the abandoned industrial building, naming it Project Artaud, for French avant-garde theater artist, Antonin Artaud (1896-1948), who believed art should happen in non-traditional spaces. Today, there are over 70 individual artists' live/work studios at Project Artaud, in addition to arts related nonprofits, small artist businesses, studio theaters and galleries.
Project Artaud is supported by its membership, by recent grants from the Cultural Facilities Fund Bay Area Program and the San Francisco Art Commission's Creative Space Program.